Monday, July 12

DIY Project: 'Bride' and 'Groom' Chair Decor


Love these chair hang letters? Order your own by clicking here!

As promised, my weekend was filled with wedding planning and DIY projects galore. It all started when Saturday morning I arose at 7:30 am to drive 45 minutes to my first dress fitting. Why so early? If you recall my wedding gown mishap post from a few weeks ago, I was less than thrilled when my gown finally arrived after an agonizing three-month delay. At first impression, it seemed the dress was too large in the hips, not sewn to specifications on the front, and the train was horrifically long. However, I didn’t actually realize how unhappy I was with the dress until after I’d taken it home and looked at it a little closer. The next day I called the store owner regarding my concerns and she suggested I come in right away to have her look at the issues first-hand. It was imperative that we addressed the issues immediately just in case the dress needed to be sent back. But seeing as how I work throughout the week and went out of town for July Fourth weekend, the only time she could squeeze me in with the seamstress was before the store opened this past Saturday. So upon arriving at 9 am on the dot, the seamstress got to work right away and quickly assessed the “repairs” needing to be done. Of course I ened up paying for all the fixes that should have been done correctly in the first place, but she was kind enough to not charge excessively for the changes I requested. I was expecting the alterations to cost another few hundred dollars, but I ended up with a mere $150 bill for everything, including the hem! I was so ecstatic. Not only was she going to mend my dress to match my vision, but it was going to cost less than what I’d expected. Finally, I was thrilled! My second fitting will take place on July 31st. Cross your fingers for me!
The rest of Saturday and parts of Sunday we spent working on the invitations. After weeks of hand-embellishing each invitation, I finally finished all 60 of them, so now I’m only waiting for my Mom to mail the envelopes back to me. (To save on costs of hiring a calligrapher, I’d asked her to address each one using her beautiful cursive handwriting.) Once those arrive, my fiance and I will stuff the envelopes and stamp them with the photo postage my Dad paid for as a Christmas gift last year. Then hopefully next week we can mail them out, and I’ll finally be able to reveal the DIY invitation photos. Until then, my lips are sealed!
Much of Sunday was also spent working on the chair-hang letters I blogged about early in the planning process. Even though I’d been contemplating this DIY project ever since I bought the wooden letters over a year ago, I wasn’t entirely sure how I wanted to decorate them. Should I stay within our color scheme, or do something more generic? Should I make them vintage and artistic, or modern and glam? I’m so glad I held onto the idea for as long as I did because finally, without warning, inspiration for the project suddenly came to me! On Saturday while I was selecting tissue paper to hand-cut for our invitations, I randomly came across the cutest “Mr. and Mrs.” tissue paper that immediately gave me a vision for the letters! So after months and months of wondering what to do with these plain wooden “B” and “G” letters, at last I had a clear direction. So later that same day I stopped into a craft store to gather the rest of the supplies I needed, then immediately got to work. I absolutely love the way they turned out and can’t wait to hang them on our chairs at the reception! Honestly, the photos don’t even do them justice, so I tried taking close up photos of the rhinestone and damask detailing. Check them out:
BGletters 600x450 DIY Project: ‘Bride’ and ‘Groom’ Chair Decor
BDetail1 600x450 DIY Project: ‘Bride’ and ‘Groom’ Chair Decor
Gdetail 600x450 DIY Project: ‘Bride’ and ‘Groom’ Chair Decor
CrystalDetail 600x450 DIY Project: ‘Bride’ and ‘Groom’ Chair Decor
If you’d like to try this DIY project for yourself, just follow these easy steps!
Supplies You’ll Need:
  • Wooden Letters… You can find these at any Michaels or Joann’s craft store, and they come in a variety of sizes and fonts.
  • Acrylic Paint… I recommend using white if you are using a light colored tissue paper that is see-through.
  • Sponge Brushes… I like the multi-packs that come with a variety of different brush sizes.
  • Modge Podge… I used Matte, but you can also use Glossy if you’d prefer. A small bottle of this glue will be plenty.
  • Paper Plate… Modge podge glue dries quickly and is permanent, so you don’t want to get it on anything unintentionally. Pour a small amount on the plate and keep refilling the small amount as needed. If you pour too much, it will dry quickly and can easily be wasted since not much is needed to get the job done. NOTE: You will also want to lay down newspaper on your workspace to avoid getting glue on the table.
  • Tissue Paper… This is where you can get really creative and find paper with designs or words or solid colors that match your theme. You don’t want to use regular paper because it is too thick and will be difficult to shape to the letters. I find that tissue paper works best and I wouldn’t recommend anything else in it’s place.
  • Scissors
  • Embellishments… You can use things like fabric, ribbon, rhinestone crystals, or stickers. The possibilities are endless!
 Follow These Simple Steps:
  1. Use acrylic paint and a sponge brush to add a base to the letters in order cover the wooden-grain texture. One or two coats should be enough.
  2. Rinse the brush in running water until it runs clear to avoid the paint drying in the brush and ruining it. Set aside to dry.
  3. Once the paint on the letters has dried entirely, use a large sponge brush to brush a thin coat of modge podge glue on the entire TOP surface of the letter. Don’t paint the sides yet – only apply glue to the top.
  4. You’ll need to work quickly since the glue dries fast. Have your tissue paper ready and lay it on top of the letter, flattening it as much as possible. Don’t rub it too much though, or else the paper will tear. There will be tiny folds and crinkles no matter how much you try flattening it – this is unavoidable when using tissue paper with modge podge. I personally like how it gives it a texture!
  5. Use the scissors to cut strips along the sides of the paper so it will easily fold around the sides of the letter.
  6. Take a smaller brush, and in small sections, apply modge podge to the sides of the letter. Right after applying the glue, fold the smaller strips of paper around the sides before the glue dries. Go around the letter and repeat, section by section.
  7. Once it has dried, apply a thin coat of modge podge over the top of the tissue paper, painting the glue on the top and sides of the letter. This will give it a nice finish and seal the paper. Apply a THIN coat so it dries clear – if you apply too much glue, it will have spots of white area after it dries.
  8. Rinse the brush in running water until it runs clear to avoid the glue drying in the brush and ruining it. Set aside to dry.
  9. Once the letter has dried entirely, apply embellishments using a glue gun or elmers glue. And finally, attach string so it can he hung!
 Let me know if you try this DIY project based on my instructions. I would love to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment