Monday, March 22

I Said Yes to the Reception Dress!


I was hoping to work a bit on our DIY invitations over the weekend but life got in the way and I never got around to it. I did, however, purchase my reception dress! Joe and I had visited the mall Saturday for a few quick purchases and I couldn’t help but wander into the White House Black Market store just to “browse”. When I found a beautiful white cocktail dress proudly displayed on the window mannequin, I instantly pictured wearing it at the end of my reception and wanted to try it on. But then I saw the price tag. Feeling defeated, I left the store and told Joe about my great discovery before becoming discouraged about the price. I suggested that I might try the dress on in the future when I knew if I’d be able to afford it as the wedding drew closer.
Sunday, however, had a lovely surprise “in store” for me. As fate would have it, I had to return to the mall to make a quick exchange on a purchase that I’d made the day before and once again, I walked past the gorgeous dress that seemed to be beaming under a spotlight in the WHBM store. This time I was alone at the mall though, so I vowed that I would at least try it on as I made my way out of the mall after making the exchange. Once I got that task out of the way, I hurried through the thick crowd back to the store. I do believe that I was noticeably on a very important mission as I headed straight to the rack that held the white dresses. I was hoping I didn’t look to desperate as I shuffled through the hanging clothes and picked out my size. An associate came over almost immediately and asked if I’d like to try it on. “Yes please!” I smiled. I perused the clearance section for a few moments before finally ending my journey at the dressing room. The associate had kindly chosen some gorgeous heels for me to try on with the dress and a cute matching belt that had been clad on the mannequin. I pulled the curtain shut and then zipped on the dress. Just a bit too large. I asked the associate to bring me another size, and this time… the dress fit perfectly! I tugged the high heels onto my feet and stepped outside of the room to get a better look in the large mirror. Something about wearing it just felt right and sent me a great vibe. It was comfortable, practical, stylish, and classy. Best of all, I could see myself wearing it on my wedding day!
I told the associate I didn’t want to buy impulsively but that I also didn’t want to be disappointed if my size sold out before I could come back to the store to buy it. It was time to seize the moment. “I’m going to take it!” I blurted, a bit surprised myself. As I removed the dress and got ready to visit the cash register I felt a sigh of relief that it was one more thing to cross off my to-do list. Suddenly my self-reassurance coaching was interrupted by the associate just outside the dressing room: “Good news! I have coupon that will give you 20% off and you’ll also receive a $25 gift card to be used next month.”  Jackpot! “You just made my day!!” I exclaimed back.
(Photo: whitehouseblackmarket.com)
On the way home I called Joe to tell him about my unexpected purchase. I was unsure whether or not I wanted him to see the dress before I wore it. After all, it’s a dress I’ll be wearing for the second half of my reception and for the post-reception party and not my actual wedding dress. I left it up to him. “Do you want me to see it?” he asked hesitantly. “I don’t know if I want to see it. I can’t decide!” So I told him we might as well just wait until the big day to make it one final surprise toward the end of the wedding night.  So for the next 195 days it will hang in a sealed black wardrobe bag within my closet just waiting for the day when it will get to shine once again.
Check out the new Wedding Boutique on White House Black Market’s website. They have trendy bridesmaid dresses and a sexy new wedding gown!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I read your post. Nice dresses . However, I am conducting a site on reiki healing.

    Healing Art Forms is an online distant healing center founded by Nicole Lanning. We offer multiple forms of energy healing, spiritual healing.
    visit it: reiki healing

    ReplyDelete