Sunday, February 21

Keeping Dad in the Loop


As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my favorite date spots to enjoy with my fiance is Borders bookstore. It should come as no surprise that I inevitably always wander into the bridal section just incasethere is something new in stock that peaks my interest. Joe will usually browse the section with me, and this past Saturday he came across one particular book that I hadn’t yet seen before. So it was placed amongst the “might buy” pile to be further investigated while I enjoyed a hot beverage in the café. But on this occasion, the bridal book wasn’t intended for me. It was for my dad.
My parents divorced when I was in middle school and I lived with my mom and stepdad for the majority of my life afterward. Still, my dad was always a very active father and we managed to remain pretty close through the years. But because I’ve lived in Florida for three years while he remains in Missouri, we don’t get to see each other in person as much as we’d like to. I live independently with my fiance and have a very busy lifestyle, and therefore don’t have much time to sit on the phone and chit chat about every little detail of my wedding planning. Honestly, I don’t even do this with my MOH or my Mom. So while I try to keep my dad filled in as much as possible with what’s going on in my world, there’s plenty of wedding details that I haven’t had the opportunity to share with him.
 FOB Book
(Photo Credit: Google Images)
So as I sipped a delicious gingerbread latte, I began reading “The Pocket Idiot’s Guide to Being the Father of the Bride” and I knew right away that I had to get it for him. I ended up reading the entire book right there in the café and couldn’t wait to get home to personalize it with my own little messages.  Once I had a few minutes to browse the pages again at home, I used cute sticky notes to attach comments into the appropriate chapters, like which vendors I’ve already booked, the number of guests we’re having, and who was paying for what. I am his oldest and first-to-be-wed daughter so I’m convinced he’ll be eager to discover exactly what it expected of his role at the wedding. And I know he’ll love getting caught up to speed about some of the wedding details and projects that I’ve been working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment